You can have an intercom conversation with non-Sena Bluetooth headsets using the Universal Intercom function. Non-Sena Bluetooth headsets can be connected to the Sena Bluetooth headset if they support the Bluetooth Hands-Free Profile (HFP). The working distance may differ depending on the performance of Bluetooth headset that it is connected to. In general, it is shorter than normal intercom distance since it uses the Bluetooth Hands-Free Profile. The Universal Intercom affects both the phone call connection and the multipoint connection. You cannot use a multipoint connection device while you are using the Universal Intercom in case as below.
1. If a non-Sena headset does not support a multipoint connection, it cannot use a phone call connection while using the Universal Intercom.
2. As for Sena headsets, the Universal Intercom affects the multipoint connection.
3. If non-Sena headset (already paired as Universal Intercom with Sena) is turned on, then the multipoint connection is automatically deactivated. And the non-Sena headset is automatically connected to Sena headset as a Universal Intercom. So you cannot use multipoint connection device such as GPS, while a non-Sena headset is turned on.
4. Even though you disconnect the non-Sena headset as a Universal Intercom, it will not automatically restore the multipoint connection. To restore the multipoint connection, you should turn off the non-Sena headset first, then try to connect to multipoint device manually from the device screen or simply reboot the device so that it automatically connects to the Sena headset.
Universal Intercom Pairing
The SMH5 MultiCom can be paired with non-Sena Bluetooth headsets for Bluetooth intercom conversation. You can pair the SMH5 MultiCom with only one non-Sena Bluetooth headset so if you pair with a different non-Sena Bluetooth headset, the previous pairing will be removed.
1. Turn on the SMH5 MultiCom and a non-Sena Bluetooth headset that you want to pair with.
2. Press and hold the Jog Dial on the SMH5 MultiCom for 8 seconds until the blue LED flashes rapidly. You will hear a voice prompt saying “Universal intercom pairing”.
3. Perform the operation required for handsfree pairing on the non-Sena Bluetooth headset (refer to the User’s Guide for the headsets you want to use). The SMH5 MultiCom will automatically pair with a non-Sena Bluetooth headset when each are in pairing mode.
Two-way Universal Intercom
You can initiate the Universal Intercom connection with non-Sena Bluetooth headsets using the same intercom connection method as you would between other Sena headsets. You may single tap the Jog Dial to begin an intercom conversation with the first intercom friend, double tap with the second intercom friend, and triple tap with the third intercom friend.
Non-Sena Bluetooth headsets may initiate the Universal Intercom connection, by activating the voice dialer or using the redialing operation. You may also disconnect the existing connection by using the operation to end a call (refer to the User’s Guide of the headsets for voice dialer, redialing, and ending a call).
Three-way Universal Intercom
You may make a three-way Universal Intercom connection with two SMH5 MultiComs and one non-Sena Bluetooth headset. If the intercom connection is made, all headsets connected cannot use the mobile phone call function since the connection between the headset and the phone is disconnected temporarily. If you disconnect the intercom call, the mobile phone connection is made again automatically so that you can use a mobile phone call function.
1. You (A) need to be paired with a non-Sena Bluetooth headset (B) and another SMH5 MultiCom headset (C) for the three-way conference intercom.
2. Start an intercom conversation with non-Sena Bluetooth headset (B) in your intercom group. For example, you (A) may start an intercom conversation with non-Sena Bluetooth headset (B). The non-Sena Bluetooth headset (B) may also start an intercom call with you (A).
3. The other SMH5 MultiCom (C) may join the intercom by making an intercom call to you (A).
4. Now you (A), non-Sena Bluetooth headset (B), and the other SMH5 MultiCom (C) are having a three-way conference intercom.
Four-way Universal Intercom
You may make a four-way Universal Intercom connection with a couple of different configurations, 1) three SMH5 MultiComs and one non- Sena Bluetooth headset or 2) two SMH5 MultiComs and two non-Sena Bluetooth headsets.
You may have a couple of other Four-way Universal Intercom configurations, 1) your headset (A), a non-Sena Bluetooth headset (B), another SMH5 MultiCom (C), and a non-Sena Bluetooth headset (D), 2) your headset (A), a non-Sena Bluetooth headset (B), and two other SMH5 MultiCom headsets (C and D). You may make the four-way Universal Intercom call the same way as a normal four-way intercom call.