Here is how to use the Group Intercom feature on the 20S using the Smartphone App to create an intercom conference without pairing each of the headsets together.
1. Pair and connect a Sena 20S to your iPhone or Android phone using the instructions in the Mobile Phone Pairing section found in the User’s Guide for the 20S.
*Note: you can pair and connect your mobile phone before starting the Smartphone App or you can pair it through the app itself.
2. After pairing and connecting your mobile phone, the app will show that the Sena 20S is connected and show what the current firmware version that is on the headset.
3. Tap the icon in the upper left to see the following sections that are available on the Smartphone App: My Device, Group Intercom, Pairing List, Setting, and Quick Guide.
4. To see your current intercom group and to be able to create intercom groups through the Smartphone App, tap the Group Intercom section.
5. The “Group Intercom” section is the status screen of the current intercom group that is currently available on your 20S. Since the intercom group has not been created yet, this screen will only show your paired headset.
6. To create an intercom group, tap the Group Settings button at the bottom.
7. In the Group Intercom menu, you can create an intercom group by adding other 20S headsets through the app.
8. Press the “Add” button to scan and add 20S headsets to your intercom group. Other 20S headsets need to be powered on in order for them to show up in the list when the Smartphone App is scanning.
9. When the scanning is complete, you can press the “Test” button to cause that scanned headset to produce a sound through its own speakers. The app will prompt you if you hear the sound through the speakers, if you do then choose “Yes”.
10. Press the “Add” button in the list of Scanned Devices to add that headset into your group and repeat this for the rest of the headsets that you want in the Group Intercom.
11. If you want to edit the intercom group so that you can delete members of the group or change the connection order, press the “Edit” button in the top right of the app.
12. When you are done editing the intercom group, press the “Done” button in the top right of the app.
13. The check boxes on the right side of the Group Settings menu indicates which headsets will be connected when the group intercom is started.
14. Pressing the check next to the headset that is paired and connected to your mobile phone will select all members within the group.
**Note: Only the boxes that are checked will get saved to the 20S. Unchecked means that it can still be saved to the mobile phone.
15. To save this group intercom list from your mobile phone to your Sena 20S, press the “Save to My (Sena 20S)” button. The app will prompt you if you want to save this list your 20S and you can press “Yes”.
16. By selecting “Yes” when prompted, the “Connect” button will be available so that when you press this button to activate the group intercom and cause all headsets with a check mark to connect to the group intercom.
*Note: The amount of time that it takes for all headsets in a group intercom to connect together depends on the number of headsets within the group. The more headsets in the group, the longer it takes for all headsets to connect together.
17. In addition to creating the intercom group, you can also edit the name of:
your intercom group ,
your 20S ,
or any of the members of your intercom group .
18. With the “Save as Favorite Group” button, you can save the current “Group in Use” list as Favorite Group 1, 2, or 3.
19. You can save the changes to the favorite group after any headsets that have been added or removed using the Edit button by pressing the “Save” button. These changes will be saved to the app and not the 20S.
20. When you want to connect to the headsets that you have assigned after you have saved an intercom group as Favorite Group 1, 2, or 3, press the “Use This Group” button. Select “Yes” when prompted, select the Group in Use drop down menu, press the “Save to My (Sena 20S), select “Yes” when prompted, and press the “Connect” button. This needs to be done each time you want to switch between your favorite groups.
21. Once an intercom group has been setup and saved to the 20S using the “Save to My Sena 20S” button on the Smartphone App, you can connect all of the headsets in the group intercom together in 3 different ways:
1. The connect button on the Smartphone App
2. The voice command “Group Intercom”.
3. Hold down the Ambient Mode button for 1 second until you hear the voice prompt say “Group Intercom”.
22. The headset that the intercom group was saved to, the creator, needs to be the one to use any of the 3 connection methods to connect all of the headsets together for a group intercom.
23. The headsets will be connected together in the order that they are listed on the Smartphone App. For the best performance, it is recommended to ride in this ordered number. The amount of time that it takes for the whole group to be connected together depends on the number of headsets in the group. The more headsets in the group, the longer it takes to connect all of the headsets together.
24. When all of the headsets are connected together for a group intercom then you will hear the voice prompt say “group intercom connected”.
24. To disconnect the group intercom, the headset that created and started the group intercom needs to give the voice command “end intercom”. After giving this voice command, all headsets in the group intercom will be disconnected.
25. If one of the members of the group that did not create and start the group intercom wants to remove themselves from the group intercom conversation then they can give the voice command “end intercom” which will then terminate their own individual connection to the group. By removing themselves from the group, this will cause the one intercom group to split up into two separate intercom groups and all of the remaining headsets will hear the voice prompt will say “group intercom disconnected”.
*Note: They will still be saved as a member of the group intercom on the creator’s 20S and on the list of members in the Smartphone App. When they want to return to the group, then their headset will be reconnected the next time the creator starts the group intercom.
26. If the remaining members of the group want to return to communicating with each other, then the creator of the group needs give the voice command “end intercom” and hear the voice prompt say “group intercom terminated” to end the group intercom with the headsets that it is currently connected to. Then “The Creator” will need to use one of the 3 methods mentioned previously to reconnect the remaining members for a group intercom.
28. When reconnecting all of the current members of the group intercom, the creator’s headset will search for the headset that removed themselves but will stop after a certain amount of time and skip to the next member on the group intercom list.
29. If any of the headsets in the group get disconnected for any reason and the rest of the group intercom hears the voice prompt say “group intercom disconnected” then the creator of the group needs to restart the group intercom by giving the voice command “end intercom” and then use one of the three methods to reconnect everyone back together again.